Have you assumed that your beloved cauliflower cheese and creamy pasta bakes would be totally off the menu if you’ve chosen the vegan lifestyle? Let us enlighten you as it’s certainly not the case with this simple and filling vegan cauliflower cheez pasta bake!
Here we’ve combined two of our favourite cheesy baked delights and made them into one great big comfort food hug, the Vegan Cauliflower Cheez Pasta Bake. Yum!
For the optimum cheesy flavour we use both nutritional yeast flakes in this sauce, though you may want to pick up some vegan cheese too to maximise on that cheesy flavour.
This is an ideal accompaniment to a fresh summer salad, or try adding chestnut mushrooms for an added veggie bonus.
Ingredients – 2 – 4 persons
- 200g of Wellside Pure Pasta
- 1 small fresh cauliflower
Cheez sauce (makes one pint)
- 260g of cashew nuts ( soak in cold water for at least 2 hours)
- 500ml of cold water
- 4 finely chopped spring onions
- 4tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- ¾ cup of dry whole cashews
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
Prepare the sauce
- Blend the ingredients in a blender until smooth
- Place in a saucepan and bring to the boil stirring constantly until thickened
- Season to taste and put to one side.
Prepare the vegan parmesan
- Place all ingredients into a blender and pulse several times until a fine crumb is achieved.
Pasta and cauliflower
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water as per instructions and strain.
- Trim the green leaves from the cauliflower, and carefully break them into even sized florets.
- Place in pan of water, bring to the boil, and simmer for 5-6 mins until just cooked.
- Strain and put to one side.
- Place the pasta and cauliflower into a greased oven proof dish, and coat with the white sauce ensuring full coverage.
- Place into a hot oven 180c, and bake for 35-45 minutes until lightly browned.
- Serve with vegan Parmesan cheese, and fresh bread.