Ingredients – 2 - 4 Persons
- 1 (2-3 lb) sugar or pie pumpkin
- 1 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil (optional )
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1-1 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond or rice milk (start with lower end of range)
- 2-3 Tbsp chopped sage or thyme (I used half thyme, half sage)
- 4-5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 300g Wellside Whole Wheat Macaroni
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Fresh sage sautéed in oil over medium heat for 1 minute or until just slightly browned
- Pine nuts
Pumpkins have made their appearance once again in supermarkets, grocers and corner shops up and down the country. Now is the ideal time to utilise this incredibly versatile vegetable with our vegan Halloween pumpkin mac ‘n’ cheese!
This plant-based, pumpkin-infused version has all the comfort but without the dairy! This easy pumpkin pasta requires just 10 ingredients and simple methods. The sauce is a simple mixture of ingredients like sage, garlic, nutritional yeast, almond milk, and vegan parmesan cheese. Add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice to add some warmth and spice as well as an optional pinch of red pepper flake for some heat.
Let’s make creamy, dreamy pumpkin mac ‘n’ cheese!
Combine with our Vegan Organic Whole Wheat Macaroni for the WOW factor!!
Use coupon code RECIPE10 for 10% off at the checkout.
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Using a sharp knife, cut the tops of your pumpkin off and then cut pumpkin in half. Use a sharp spoon or ice cream scoop to scrape out all the seeds and strings. (Save the seeds for roasting!)
- 3. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the skin. In the last 20 minutes of roasting, add the two cloves of garlic still in skin to the baking sheet to slightly brown and soften. Then remove pan from the oven and let the pumpkin cool. Also peel garlic cloves and set aside.
- 4. If serving with pasta, start boiling water and cooking pasta at this time. Once pasta is cooked, drain and set aside. Optional: drizzle with olive or avocado oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and vegan parmesan cheese for extra flavour.
- 5. To make the sauce, add 250g baked pumpkin to a high-speed blender along with peeled roasted garlic, arrowroot starch, dairy-free milk (starting with amount at lower end of range), sea salt, sage or thyme (I used both), nutritional yeast, vegan parmesan cheese, pumpkin pie spice, and red pepper flake (optional).
- 6. Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed. Add more salt for saltiness, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, sage or thyme for herbiness, vegan parmesan cheese for depth of flavor, pumpkin pie spice for pumpkin flavour and warmth, or red pepper flake for spice (optional).
- 7. To heat/thicken the sauce, pour into a rimmed skillet and heat over medium-low heat, whisking frequently until sauce is hot and slightly thickened – 3-5 minutes. If it gets too thick, thin with a bit more dairy-free milk.
- 8. To serve, add cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Serve as is or (optional) sprinkle with 2 tbsp vegan parmesan cheese and broil on medium for 1-3 minutes, watching very carefully until barely browned.
- 9. Enjoy hot and garnish with pine nuts or sautéed sage if desired. Cool leftovers and store in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
Want more great news & offers from Wellside? Sign up to our newsletter